The purpose of this plan is to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 spreading further should a single case or an outbreak occur. This plan relies upon all students and staff understanding when and how to initiate a response from the school regarding COVID-19 symptoms, confirmed COVID-19 cases, or any orders by health authorities or any government bodies to self-isolate.
VanArts administration will remain in contact with affected individuals, offering assistance and guidance, throughout their case. School administration will also manage any cleaning or closure of affected school facilities as necessary and will assist health authorities with contact tracing any other support requested.
In the case of an outbreak, VanArts administration will work with the local health authorities to reduce the risk of further transmission. This may include closure of facilities for cleaning and to stop the spread of an outbreak, and a return to online only instruction until it is again safe to return to class in person.
It is essential to the safety of our community and school that all students and staff self-monitor for any COVID-19 symptoms. The BC COVID-19 website has links to download the BC COVID-19 App and to a Self-Assessment Tool Self that will help students and staff monitor their health and determine if they need to self-isolate or be tested.
Our COVID-19 Safety Plan also contains details on when students and staff should remain home from school and self-isolate. Students and staff should not be returning to school in person until they have a negative COVID-19 test result, ten days have passed with no symptoms, or they have been cleared to attend by a health professional.
- BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) COVID-19 Symptoms: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/about-covid-19/symptoms
- BC COVID-19 website: https://bc.thrive.health/
How to Initiate a Case Management & Outbreak Response
- If a self-assessment using the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, app, or some other method indicates that an individual should get a COVID-19 test and self-isolate, they do so and contact their department head or supervisor to report their self-isolation as soon as they can.
- The department head or supervisor contacts school administration (firstname.lastname@example.org) alerting them to the student or staff-member who is self-isolating.
- School administration will contact the student or staff-member and advise them on testing locations and seeking medical care (visit HealthLinkBC Directory or call 8-1-1 to find a health care provider).
- School administration will check in with the student or staff member regularly until their case is resolved.
- BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool: https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/
- BCCDC Testing Locations: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing
- BC Health Authorities: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/partners/health-authorities
- HealthLinkBC Directory: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/services-and-resources/find-services
Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
If school administration is informed or becomes aware of a confirmed COVID-19 case, this will also initiate our Case Management & Outbreak Response plan and full cooperation with health authorities.
Entrances and exits for each floor of the VanArts campus are monitored by security camera which may be used to assist with contact tracing.
We recognize the ongoing impact to the mental health of student and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic and recommend the following resources to any who need them.
- Taking care of your mental and physical health during the COVID-19 pandemic: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/mental-health.html
- Here2Talk: https://here2talk.ca/