Program Duration9 Class Sessions
Next Start DatesNovember 1, 2022
-Camera or device capable of shooting digital video
-Laptop with Da Vinci Resolve software suitable for editing
What You'll Learn
Have you always wanted to make a film? Does your digital camera or cellphone take video? Already making online videos and want to push them to the next level?
Over 9 intensive class sessions, filmmaker & actor Georgie Daburas will take you through the entire process of filmmaking. With lectures, exercises, discussions and hands-on experience, you will be introduced to the fundamentals of professional video production: how to work with a crew, direct actors, prepare for shooting, editing, sound design, colour correction and working with footage. By the end of the course you will apply these skills to create your own 3-5 minute film in any style: documentary, experimental or narrative.
Schedule: Tuesday + Thursday evenings 5pm to 9pm
Course Fee: $995 CDN
Program Duration: 9 Class Sessions (36 hours total)
(See ‘Outline’ tab for class-by-class breakdown.)
Students must provide and bring their own laptop, software, and camera.
9 Class Intensive Outline
(Tuesdays & Thursdays 5pm-9pm)
CLASS 1, INTRODUCTIONS / SETTING GOALS (TUESDAY – CLASSROOM)
Introductions. Theory, Methodology, Practise. Outlining 3 Assignments.
CLASS 2, PROJECT I (THURSDAY – STUDIO)
1hr Script Workshop. 3hr Film Challenge.
CLASS 3, EDITING I (TUESDAY – CLASSROOM)
Pitching & Developing Projects. Intro to DaVinci Resolve. Assignment I: Video Pitch
CLASS 4, PREPRODUCTION / EDITING II (THURSDAY – CLASSROOM)
Budget. Planning. Producing. Editing “3hr Film Challenge” Footage.
CLASS 5, PRODUCTION / EDITING III (TUESDAY – CLASSROOM)
Production levels & Techniques. Crew. Syncing picture/audio. Advanced Editing.
CLASS 6, SOUND DESIGN (THURSDAY – CLASSROOM)
Foley. Sound Design. Film Sound Composition. Assignment II: Narrative Editing
CLASS 7, PROJECT II (TUESDAY – STUDIO)
4 hour Film Challenge. (Including Sound)
CLASS 8, COLOUR CORRECTION / FINAL PROJECTS WORKSHOP (THURSDAY – CLASSROOM)
Introduction to Basic Colour Correction in DaVinci Resolve. Open Lab.
CLASS 9, SCREENING (TUESDAY – CLASSROOM)
Final Screening. Publishing. Festivals. Open Q&A. Assignment IV: Final Project
Terms & Conditions
Please note: This program does not require approval under the Private Training Act (PTA). Students may not file a claim against the Student Tuition Protection Fund with the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) regarding this program.
Terms & Conditions
- Tuition is due in full at the time of registration.
- Tuition is not protected by PTIB’s Student Tuition Protection Fund. For more information visit: www.privatetraininginstitutions.gov.bc.ca/students/student-tuition-protection-fund
- In the event that VanArts cancels a part-time program, all registrants for that program will receive a full refund.
- VanArts may cancel a part-time program if enrolments do not reach our minimum capacities.
- There is a non-refundable cancellation fee of 20% of the part-time program tuition.
- Written notice of withdrawal to email@example.com is required.
- Non-attendance without written notice does not constitute eligibility for a refund.
- Refunds of the full program tuition, less the 20% cancellation fee, will be granted up to seven calendar days before the start date of the part-time program.
- No refunds will be granted less than seven days before the start date of the part-time program.
About the Instructor
Instructor Georgie Daburas has been in the film and television industry in Canada for the past 13 years. From Netflix, CW, SYFY and Hallmark productions to various independent and ultra-low budget films, Georgie has worked on a large number of movies and shows both behind and in front of the camera. A graduate of VanArts himself, Georgie has produced, filmed, edited, sound-designed and coloured several short films for the VanArts Acting Department, and has received a Leo Award nomination as a producer of a web-series early in his career.
Check out Georgie Daburas at IMDB
Please note that letters of acceptance are not issued for part-time courses, and that the course may be cancelled if student enrollment is low. International students are welcome to register if they are already in Vancouver with valid immigration documents for the duration of the course.