Program Duration12 Wednesday evenings - ONLINE
Next Start DatesMay 5, 2021
Camera or device capable of shooting digital video
What You'll Learn
Have you always wanted to make a film? Does your digital camera or cellphone take video? Already making online videos and want to push them to the next level? Over 12 weeks Aerlan Barrett will take you through the entire process of filmmaking. With lectures, exercises, discussions and hands-on experience, you will be introduced to the fundamentals of movie making. Working with various DSLR cameras, lenses, sound and lighting equipment. Production exercises to learn how to work with a crew, direct actors and prepare for any shoot. Hands on experience editing software, practicing sound design, colour correction and working with footage. With the goal that by the end of the course you will apply all these skills to create your own five-minute film in any style. Documentary, experimental or narrative.
Schedule: Wednesday evenings 6:30pm – 9:30pm Pacific Time
ONLINE DELIVERY – ON ZOOM.
Course Fee: $995 CDN
Program Duration: 12 weeks
(See ‘Outline’ tab for week-by-week breakdown.)
12 Week Outline
WEEK 1, INTRODUCTION
Introductions. Theory, History, Methodology & Practice.
WEEK 2, WRITING/PITCHING
Pitching. Screenwriting. Dramatic & Non-fiction writing. Story structure.
WEEK 3, PREPRODUCTION
Budget. Planning. Shot listing. Assignment: Video Pitches.
WEEK 4, PRODUCTION
Documentary. Narrative. Videography. Web Content.
WEEK 5, BASIC EDITING
Introduction to Premiere Pro. Basic edits. Managing assets.
WEEK 6, ADVANCED EDITING
Advanced editing techniques. Theory. Assignment: Personal Profile.
WEEK 7, CINEMATOGRAPHY / PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
Cinematography. Lighting. Introduction to Production Equipment & Technology.
WEEK 8, DIRECTING / PRODUCING
Directing Actors. Directing Crew. Managing Productions. Producing Content.
WEEK 9,SOUND DESIGN
Foley. Sound Design. Film Sound Composition. Assignment: Editing Project.
WEEK 10, COLOUR CORRECTION
Introduction to DaVinci Resolve. Basic Colour Correction.
WEEK 11, ROUGH CUTS / ONE ON ONE MEETINGS
Workshop your projects, wherever they’re at.
WEEK 12, SCREENING
Final Screening. Publishing. Festivals. Assignment: Final Project
Terms & Conditions
Please note: This program does not require approval under the Private Training Act (PTA). Students may not file a claim against the Student Tuition Protection Fund with the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) regarding this program.
Terms & Conditions
- Tuition is due in full at the time of registration.
- Tuition is not protected by PTIB’s Student Tuition Protection Fund. For more information visit: www.privatetraininginstitutions.gov.bc.ca/students/student-tuition-protection-fund
- In the event that VanArts cancels a part-time program, all registrants for that program will receive a full refund.
- VanArts may cancel a part-time program if enrolments do not reach our minimum capacities.
- There is a non-refundable cancellation fee of 20% of the part-time program tuition.
- Written notice of withdrawal to email@example.com is required.
- Non-attendance without written notice does not constitute eligibility for a refund.
- Refunds of the full program tuition, less the 20% cancellation fee, will be granted up to seven calendar days before the start date of the part-time program.
- No refunds will be granted less than seven days before the start date of the part-time program.
About the Instructor
Aerlan Barrett is a graduate from the Simon Fraser School for Contemporary Arts and an award winning Playwright, Screenwriter Cinematographer, Director and Editor. Known for his Praxis and Whistler screenwriting award, director of short films that have premiered internationally and for his work on numerous independent projects that have brought him to China, Belgium and all around Canada. As an educator he’s worked with The Cinematheque’s film-making program, at Simon Fraser University as both a teaching and research assistant and in VanArts’ acting program. He brings his energy and passion to every class room and project he works on, hoping to inspire and encourage a new wave of artistic voices.
Please note that letters of acceptance are not issued for part-time courses, and that the course may be cancelled if student enrollment is low.
If Pacific Time Zone is convenient, international students may opt to take this course online.