Program Duration10 weeks
Next Start DatesMay 6, 2021 August 26, 2021
Digital SLR camera with at least 1 lens
Personal computer access to download and process images
What You'll Learn
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this course will not be offered in-studio or in-classroom at VanArts, but will be proceeding in a blended delivery format, online and on location.
The course will run on Zoom, supplementing studio shoots and lighting demos through online software demonstrations, plus extra outdoor photo walks with social distancing measures in place.
This 10-week course is designed to introduce the basic concepts, controls and tools of digital photography. Students will learn basic camera controls, exposure controls, depth of field, white balance and the fundamentals of composition through classroom discussions, visual examples and hands-on workshops.
We will discuss camera equipment…from what you “need” to what you might “want”. And finally, we’ll explore different ways of presenting your images from slideshows to prints, photo books and more. At the end of this course you will have more confidence in using your camera and equipment, an understanding of basic photographic principles, increased skill in manipulating creative tools and a renewed excitement for what photography has to offer. Whether you are an aspiring professional, a dedicated hobbiest or a weekend warrior, this course is sure to satisfy your taste for image making!
Schedule: Thursday Evenings 6:15 – 9:15
Class 1: Dissecting your Digital SLR (Online)
Class 2: The ins and outs of Exposure Control (Online)
Class 3: Photo Walk 1 (On Location)
Class 4: White Balance and Review of Photo Walk images (Online)
Class 5: Depth of Field and Composition (Online)
Class 6: Photo Walk 2 (On Location)
Class 7: Review of Photo Walk images + Hollywood lighting patterns (Online)
Class 8: Intro to post production with phone apps and Adobe Lightroom (Online)
Class 9: Photo Walk 3 (Night Shoot on location at Science World)
Class 10: Post production, final portfolio review, Q&A. (Online)
Terms & Conditions
Please note: This program does not require approval under the Private Training Act (PTA). Students may not file a claim against the Student Tuition Protection Fund with the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) regarding this program.
Terms & Conditions
- Tuition is due in full at the time of registration.
- Tuition is not protected by PTIB’s Student Tuition Protection Fund. For more information visit: www.privatetraininginstitutions.gov.bc.ca/students/student-tuition-protection-fund
- In the event that VanArts cancels a part-time program, all registrants for that program will receive a full refund.
- VanArts may cancel a part-time program if enrolments do not reach our minimum capacities.
- There is a non-refundable cancellation fee of 20% of the part-time program tuition.
- Written notice of withdrawal to email@example.com is required.
- Non-attendance without written notice does not constitute eligibility for a refund.
- Refunds of the full program tuition, less the 20% cancellation fee, will be granted up to seven calendar days before the start date of the part-time program.
- No refunds will be granted less than seven days before the start date of the part-time program.
About the Instructor
Mauricio Orozco is an advertising and commercial photographer. Born in Mexico City and educated at the Brooks Institute in California, he now calls Vancouver his home. His philosophy is simple, to collaborate with his clients to create images of their products and ideas in a strong and clear way. Some of his clients include Creative Engine Branding and Design, Bare Advertising, University of British Columbia, BC Hydro, BBA Engineering, Grupo Modelo, Kobex Resources Canada, Atkinsons of Vancouver among others. Some of his images are also represented by Farmboy Fine Arts. www.orozco.ca
Please note that letters of acceptance are not issued for part-time courses, that the course may be cancelled if student enrolment is low, and that we advise any international students signing up for part-time courses to only do so if they are currently residing in Vancouver or if this course is not their sole purpose for visiting.