Program Duration10 weeks
Next Start DatesJanuary 27, 2022
A Digital SLR or Mirrorless camera where you can change the exposure settings (aperture and shutter speed controls) with at least 1 lens.
Personal computer access to download and process images
What You'll Learn
This 10-week course, delivered in-person on our VanArts campus, is designed to introduce the basic concepts, controls and tools of digital photography. Students will learn basic camera controls, exposure controls, depth of field, white balance and the fundamentals of composition through classroom discussions, visual examples and hands-on workshops.
We will discuss camera equipment…from what you “need” to what you might “want”. And finally, we’ll explore different ways of presenting your images from slideshows to prints, photo books and more. At the end of this course you will have more confidence in using your camera and equipment, an understanding of basic photographic principles, increased skill in manipulating creative tools and a renewed excitement for what photography has to offer. Whether you are an aspiring professional, a dedicated hobbyist or a weekend warrior, this course is sure to satisfy your taste for image making!
Schedule: Thursday Evenings, 6:15pm – 9:15pm Pacific Time
Class 1: Dissecting your Digital SLR
Class 2: The ins and outs of Exposure Control
Class 3: Photo Walk 1 (On Location)
Class 4: White Balance, Metering and Review of Photo Walk Images
Class 5: Depth of Field and Composition
Class 6: Photo Walk 2 (On Location – Night Shoot at Science World)
Class 7: Review of Photo Walk images + Hollywood lighting patterns
Class 8: Intro to post-production with phone apps and Adobe Lightroom
Class 9: Photo Walk 3 (On Location)
Class 10: Post production, final portfolio review, Q&A.
Terms & Conditions
Please note: This program does not require approval under the Private Training Act (PTA). Students may not file a claim against the Student Tuition Protection Fund with the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) regarding this program.
Terms & Conditions
- Tuition is due in full at the time of registration.
- Tuition is not protected by PTIB’s Student Tuition Protection Fund. For more information visit: www.privatetraininginstitutions.gov.bc.ca/students/student-tuition-protection-fund
- In the event that VanArts cancels a part-time program, all registrants for that program will receive a full refund.
- VanArts may cancel a part-time program if enrolments do not reach our minimum capacities.
- There is a non-refundable cancellation fee of 20% of the part-time program tuition.
- Written notice of withdrawal to email@example.com is required.
- Non-attendance without written notice does not constitute eligibility for a refund.
- Refunds of the full program tuition, less the 20% cancellation fee, will be granted up to seven calendar days before the start date of the part-time program.
- No refunds will be granted less than seven days before the start date of the part-time program.
About the Instructor
Mauricio Orozco is an advertising and commercial photographer. Born in Mexico City and educated at the Brooks Institute in California, Mauricio now calls Vancouver, BC his home. For over 20 years he has been able to collaborate with his clients to create images that are strong, useful and authentic to their brands.
Although an expert at digital manipulation, the many years working with film taught him the importance of creating the best possible image at the moment of exposure. His background has also turned into a true passion for teaching photography and digital retouching. You can see some of his work at www.orozco.ca
International students can enroll in this course if they are already living in Vancouver at the time of application, and during the course. Part-time courses cannot be used as a reason for entering Canada. Letters of acceptance are not issued for part-time courses, and the course may be cancelled if student enrollment is low.