Following WorkSafeBC’s guidelines on planning for COVID-19 preparedness, and in accordance with the BC Restart Plan and Go-Forward Guidelines, a review has been conducted of risks of exposure or transmission at the school and the following protective measures and policies have been implemented.
For our full plan, click here: COVID-19 Safety Plan.
We expect that our COVID-19 Safety Plan will change over time as the situation demands.
1st Level: Elimination
- Limit elevator occupancy to two (2) riders
- Limit occupancy of classrooms, offices and any shared space based on room size and configuration (limit to be posted outside each room)
- Instructors should stream classes online, even when held in person
- Meetings should be conducted online when possible
- Students and Staff are supported in working remotely/from home
- Stagger staff and student schedules when work or classes cannot be conducted remotely or online
2nd Level: Engineering Measures
- Hand sanitizer stations have been installed throughout the school
- Remove or tape-off chairs/workstations that are not to be used
3rd Level: Administrative Measures
- Advisory posters and floor decals have been installed throughout school (including measures to reduce virus transmission, proper handwashing, social/physical distancing, and guidelines to follow for safe use of shared space and resources)
- Students and staff are to:
- Remain or go home if they have any symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache) or if they have been directed to stay home by Public Health or another government body, and notify their department head or supervisor (per our COVID-19 Case Management & Outbreak Response plan)
- wash/sanitize their hands on arrival to school and frequently thereafter
- maintain social/physical distance of 2m (6 feet) whenever possible
- refrain from shaking hands, hugging or other forms of physical contact
- follow all instructions on advisory posters and floor decals
- follow any stairway or hallway arrows that indicate one-way direction of traffic
- avoid congregating in any common areas
- wipe down their workstations and work areas before/after used or leant
- wipe down any shared equipment before/after use
- avoid sharing equipment where possible
- wash/sanitize their hands before/after using shared equipment
- leave the school when their work/classes are completed
- Disinfectant wipe and/or spray is available in all classrooms and offices
4th Level Protections
- Staff and students are required to wear face masks in classrooms, shared offices and common areas when social/physical distancing cannot be maintained
- Washable and reusable facemasks are available for all students and staff (two per person)
- Cleaners switched their cleaning chemicals to Wood Wyant Germicidal Disinfectant
- Cleaners are disinfecting high-touch surfaces nightly (e.g. doorknobs, elevator buttons, etc.)
Online learning policy
Students attending classes online will be provided with VPN access to the VanArts network to access licenses required for program related software. Students and staff will be set up with remote access to their school workstation as required for their programs.
Online classes could be recorded for later viewing by all students whenever possible.
In-class learning policy
The number of students permitted to attend in-class instruction will be limited by the classroom size and configuration to maintain 2m (6 feet) of social/physical distancing space.
Any in-class instruction (other than one-on-one instruction) should be streamed for students attending class online and/or recorded for later viewing by all students whenever possible.
Work from home policy
VanArts staff is supported in working from home to limit potential exposure to COVID-19 by themselves or others. All staff will be set up with remote access to their school workstation or leant a school workstation with access to VanArts network and all software required to perform their regular duties.
Anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days (e.g., fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache) or has been directed to stay home by Public Health or another government body are prohibited from entering the school and are expected to self-isolate as directed and inform the school per our COVID-19 – Case Management & Outbreak Response plan.
Anyone who has newly arrived in Canada, has returned from international travel, or has had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor themselves for symptoms per our COVID-19 – International Student Travel & Quarantine plan.
The BC COVID-19 self-assessment tool may be used to assist individuals in determining if they should be self-isolating.
Students and staff should not be returning to school in person until they have a negative COVID-19 test result, ten days have passed with no symptoms, or they have been cleared to attend by a health professional.
Feeling sick while at school policy
Any students or staff who begin to feel sick or display symptoms of COVID-19 while at school should immediately wash or sanitize their hands, put on a face mask, report their symptoms to their instructor, manager, or school administration (per our COVID-19 – Case Management & Outbreak Response plan), and do their best to stay at least 2 m (6 feet) from others until they can return home to self-isolate. Areas the student or staff member visited will be cleared of all use until cleaned and disinfected.
Individuals should call 811 or a medical professional if health advice is required. In the case of acute symptoms (e.g., difficulty breathing, chest pain, etc.), call 911.
While visitors have not been prohibited, they are not encouraged. Visitors must receive permission to be at the school from a department head or school administration. Visitor access should be limited, and they are required to meet the same self-isolation standards as staff or students.
Contact tracing policy
All students, staff and visitors are asked to record their name, contact info (email or phone number) and date to log-sheets that have be placed by each classroom and office area, or to log in and out using our online contact tracing form.
All students, staff and visitors are asked to wash or sanitize their hands upon arrival to the school, after touching any high-touch surfaces (e.g., elevator buttons, door handles/knobs, light switches, etc.), and frequently throughout their day.
Social/physical distancing policy
All students, staff and visitors are asked to maintain social/physical distancing of 2m (6 feet) whenever possible, and to refrain from shaking hands, hugging or other forms of physical contact.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) policy
Students and staff are required to wear facemasks or other PPE, in hallways, elevators, common areas and any settings where social/physical distancing of 2m (6 feet) cannot be maintained.
International Students and Travel policy
International students or anyone returning to Canada after traveling abroad must comply with all federal, provincial, and public health guidelines regarding quarantine and self-isolation per our COVID-19 – International Student Travel & Quarantine plan.