Position: Instructor of Advanced WordPress Development
Department: Web Development and Interactive Design
Date Posted: September 21, 2018
VanArts is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual who’s passionate about web development and design and sharing it with others. As a key instructor in the Web Development and Design Program you love to teach and educate, you’re up with current design trends and technology. Exciting industry changes thrill you and expanding your students’ minds about what’s possible is at the top of your list.
This is a part-time position leaving you ample time for other work and projects beyond the school walls. We love working professionals who also love to teach.
Department Head of Web Development and Interactive Design
- The main goal of this position is to teach students to become competent WordPress developers. This is achieved by gaining a better understanding of managing the CMS, being able to create themes from scratch and building custom plugins.
- Staying on top of relevant technology and software in the industry
- Deliver course curriculum using the most appropriate delivery method for the content being taught, i.e., lecture, demonstration, workshop or open lab. (including, but not limited to, power point presentations, slideshows, handouts, suggested or required reading, etc.).
- Review and plan out course material before the commencement of each course to ensure content is accurate and up to date and full of the most up-to-date material.
- Prepare lesson plans.
- Assess and evaluate student work, record grades and provide students with constructive feedback that supports their creative development.
- Provide input to HOD, where necessary, with regard to curriculum updates to maintain high industry standards and stay current with industry practices.
- Attend school and department meetings as needed.
- Participate in promotional and industry networking activities as required.
- Maintain a professional environment by setting an example for students and preparing them for the working world post diploma.
- Contribute to a nurturing learning environment by providing support, encouragement and constructive feedback to students.
- Be available for student consultation.
- Foster students towards employment in the industry.
Knowledge, Education and Skills
- Experience with developing custom WP themes from scratch
- Familiar with theme development and ‘blank’ themes (html5 blank theme, for example)
- Familiar with the WP theme file hierarchy
- Familiar with WP theme options, theme tags, conditional tags, widget areas, custom menus, custom taxonomies, post types, action and filter hooks
- Ability to create and control custom loops with WordPress Queries (wp_query)
- Good knowledge of available popular plugins
- Experience with simple WP plugin development
- Familiar with multi-sites setup and management
- Experience with securing WordPress (familiar with existing security plugins and server settings)
- E-commerce in WP (WooCommerce plugin)
- Familiar with development within Lamp stacks (Wamp)
- Some experience with theme frameworks such as Gantry beneficial
- Overall WP maintenance (database alterations, WP site migration, overall debugging, WP backup, PhpMyAdmin)
- Experience migrating WordPress sites from localhost to online hosting, and between different online hosting services with or without plugins
- Good working knowledge of PHP, HTML, CSS, CSS preprocessor(s) (SASS/SCSS, LESS), SQL
Our mission is to unlock the creative and career potential within each student.
Send your resume and cover letter describing why you are interested in the position to email@example.com. Please put “Instructor of Advanced WordPress Development” in the title of your email.
Date Posted: September 21, 2018