Position: Instructor of Advanced CSS
Department: Web Development and Interactive Design
Date Posted: October 10, 2018
VanArts is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual who’s passionate about web development and design and sharing it with others. As a key instructor in the Web Development and Design Program, you love to teach and educate, you’re up with current design trends and technology. Exciting industry changes thrill you and expanding your students’ minds about what’s possible is at the top of your list.
This is a part-time position leaving you ample time for other work and projects beyond the school walls. We love working professionals who also love to teach.
Department Head of Web Development and Interactive Design
- The main goal of this position is to teach students about Responsive Web Design, using mobile first approach and about understanding advanced and modern CSS practices and frameworks.
- Staying on top of relevant technology and software in the industry
- Deliver course curriculum using the most appropriate delivery method for the content being taught, i.e., lecture, demonstration, workshop or open lab. (including, but not limited to, power point presentations, slideshows, handouts, suggested or required reading, etc.).
- Review and plan out course material before the commencement of each course to ensure content is accurate and up to date and full of the most up-to-date material.
- Prepare lesson plans.
- Assess and evaluate student work, record grades and provide students with constructive feedback that supports their creative development.
- Provide input to HOD, where necessary, with regard to curriculum updates to maintain high industry standards and stay current with industry practices.
- Attend school and department meetings as needed.
- Participate in promotional and industry networking activities as required.
- Maintain a professional environment by setting an example for students and preparing them for the working world post diploma.
- Contribute to a nurturing learning environment by providing support, encouragement and constructive feedback to students.
- Be available for student consultation.
- Foster students towards employment in the industry.
Knowledge, Education and Skills
- Outstanding HTML/CSS coding skills
- CSS grid systems (float, flexbox, CSS Grid)
- Familiarity and development experience with CSS Preprocessors: SASS (SCSS)
- Responsive layout (media queries), responsive images (srcset), mobile first approach
- Familiar with methodologies such as (DryCSS, OOCSS, SMACSS, BEM naming convention, 7 in 1 Pattern)
- CSS Animation (Key frames – animated sprites)
- Familiar with SVG and animating SVG
- Frameworks – Foundation (SCSS) and or Bootstrap
- npm/Gulp (beneficial: CSS preprocessor, PostCSS/autoprefixer)
- Some familiarity of PostCSS/CSSNext beneficial
- Familiar with development within Lamp stacks (Wamp)
Our mission is to contribute to the development of the individual student’s artistic and career potential by bringing together world-class instructors to teach, inspire, motivate and pass their knowledge on to students and support the development of their talents and realization of their dreams in the visual, media and performing arts.
Send your resume and cover letter describing your personality and why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Instructor of Advanced CSS” in the title of your email.
Date Posted: October 10, 2018