Position: Character Animation Instructor
Department: 2D/3D Character Animation
Date Posted: July 15, 2021
Vanarts (Vancouver Institute of Media Arts) is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about character animation and teaching. As a key instructor in the Character Animation Program, you will be working with students of varying ages and skill levels from around the world.
Head of Department
As directed by the Head of Animation, you will instruct 18 – 21 hours per week within the animation department. Additional time will be devoted to grading, course planning, lesson plans, meetings with students, departmental meetings, etc. Assist with the promotion of the department to help reach enrolment targets, through meetings with prospective students and participation in open houses/career fairs, etc.
- Strong understanding of animation principles and ability to animate characters believably.
- Minimum 5 years of character animation experience, preferably feature films.
- Strong understanding of character animation workflow.
- Strong understanding of visual communication through storyboarding/editing/cinematography.
- Strong communication skills, and patient with students.
- Confident working with Maya and or Harmony.
- Instruct as required within the department; 18 – 21 hours per week
- Provide curriculum input and planning to maintain industry standards
- Collaborate with the Marketing Department for recruitment.
- Assist with info sessions as required
- Deliver course curriculum using the most appropriate delivery method for assignment i.e., lecture, demonstration, workshop and open labs, (including, but not limited to, power point presentations, slideshows, handouts, suggested for required reading, etc.).
- Collaborate with department faculty to strengthen course content and methods of delivery.
- Prepare and/or work with existing lesson plans to meet program goals and standards.
- Assess and evaluate student work.
- Submit student final grades within two calendar weeks of course completion.
- Review course outlines before the commencement of each term to ensure content is accurate and up to date.
- Attend school and department meetings.
- Participate in promotional and industry networking activities as required.
- Take daily attendance.
- Maintain a professional environment by being on time for class and punctual in delivering grades and feedback.
- Contribute to a nurturing learning environment by providing support, encouragement and constructive feedback to all students.
- Be available for student consultation.
*All material developed specifically for course content at VanArts will be subject to the Intellectual Property clause in your contract with VanArts.
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience
- Relevant certificate diploma or degree.
- Ability to work effectively with others (people oriented).
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly organized and team player.
- Inspired, motivated, and passionate about teaching.
- Computer literate in program relevant software.
Our mission is to unlock the creative and career potential within each student.
Send your resume and cover letter describing why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Character Animation Instructor” in the title of your email.
Date Posted: July 15, 2021