Position: Character Animation Instructor
Department: 2D/3D Character Animation
Date Posted: July 5, 2019
Vanarts (Vancouver Institute of Media Arts) is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about character animation and teaching. As a key instructor in the Character Animation Program, you will be working with students of varying ages and skill levels from around the world.
Head of Department
As directed by the Head of Animation, you will instruct an average of 18 hours per week within the animation department. Additional time will be devoted to grading, course planning, lesson plans, meetings with students, departmental meetings, etc. Assist with the promotion of the department to help reach enrolment targets, through meetings with prospective students and participation in open houses/career fairs, etc.
- Strong understanding of animation principles and ability to animate characters believably.
- Strong understanding of Maya animation workflow – Graph Editor, Constraints, Controller Orientation. Work with existing curriculum for Basic Lighting and basic prop modeling.
- Strong understanding of visual communication through storyboarding/editing/cinematography.
- Strong communication skills and patient with students.
- Confident working with 3D and 2D animation. We use Maya and Harmony. The priority for this position is Maya.
- Instruct as required within the department; an average of 18 hours per week
- Provide curriculum input and planning to maintain top industry standards
- Collaborate with the department for business development and marketing
- Assist with new student recruits and info sessions as required
- Deliver course curriculum using the most appropriate delivery method for assignment i.e., lecture, demonstration, workshop and open labs, (including, but not limited to, power point presentations, slideshows, handouts, suggested for required reading, etc.).
- Collaborate with department faculty to strengthen course content and methods of delivery.
- Prepare lesson plans to meet program goals and standards.
- Assess and evaluate student work.
- Submit student final grades within one calendar week of course completion.
- Review course outlines before the commencement of each term to ensure content is accurate and up to date.
- Provide input to HOD, where necessary, with regard to curriculum updates to maintain high industry standards.
- Attend school and department meetings.
- Participate in promotional and industry networking activities as required.
- Take daily attendance.
- Maintain a professional environment by being on time for class and punctual in delivering grades and feedback.
- Contribute to a nurturing learning environment by providing support, encouragement and constructive feedback to students.
- Be available for student consultation.
*All material developed specifically for course content at VanArts will be subject to the Intellectual Property clause in your contract with VanArts.
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience.
- Relevant certificate diploma or degree.
- Ability to work effectively with others (people oriented).
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly organized and team player.
- Inspired, motivated, and passionate about teaching.
- Computer literate in program relevant software.
Our mission is to unlock the creative and career potential within each student.
Send your resume and cover letter describing why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Character Animation Instructor” in the title of your email.
Date Posted: July 5, 2019